Charter a Private Jet to the Top College Football Rivalries
Top College Football Rivalries
Ah, fall is in the air. Leaves turning color. Temperatures getting cooler. And, the start of football season when fiercely loyal fans don their team colors and cheer for the good guys on the field.
Any game can be exciting but college football rivalries born and bred over years and years are events not to be missed.
If you are lucky enough to score tickets to one of the famous rivalries, Paramount Business Jets can arrange a flight for you into any nearby airport. Arrive in style, rested and ready to cheer on your team.
Here are some of the most famous rivalries but it certainly isn’t a complete list. You can depend on Paramount Business Jets to arrange a flight no matter where you want to go.
Charter a Private Jet to the Alabama Crimson Tide - Auburn Tigers Game
- First Played: 1893
- Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama & Auburn, Georgia
- Nickname: Iron Bowl
Nicknamed the Iron Bowl (because of Birmingham’s tie to the steel industry), this heated rivalry between inter-Southeastern Conference rivals and intra-state foes is No. 1 in almost every poll. Why? It’s about bragging rights for sure but also because there are no professional football teams in Georgia to compete for fans’ attention. And, one or both of the teams often has a shot at the national title.
Since 2000, the games – traditionally played Thanksgiving weekend -- between the Crimson Tide and the Tigers are, in odd-numbered years, at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn and, in even-numbered years, at Bryant-Denny Stadium in Tuscaloosa.
Airports near Jordan-Hare Stadium:
- Auburn University Regional (AUO), five miles away
- Sharpe Field (TGE), 24 miles away in Tuskegee, AL
- Moton Field Municipal (06A), 27 miles away in Tuskegee, AL
- Columbus Metropolitan (CSG), 42 miles away in Columbus, GA
Airports near Bryant-Denny Stadium:
- Tuscaloosa Regional (TLC), 4 miles away in Tuscaloosa
- Bessemer (KEKY), 37 miles away in Bessemer, AL
- George Downer (AIV), 38 miles away in Aliceville, AL
- Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International (BHM), 52 miles away in Birmingham, AL
Charter a Private Jet to the Ohio State Buckeyes - Michigan Wolverines Game
- First Played: 1897
- Location: Columbus, Ohio and Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Nickname: The Game
The colorful coaches in this Big 10 battle between the Buckeyes and the Wolverines, which often has national championship stakes, have as much to do with game’s excitement as the game itself.
Back in the 1970’s when Ohio State’s Woody Hayes and Michigan’s Bo Schembechler were engaged in their 10-year war, the rivalry was so intense that legend has it Woody Hayes wouldn’t spend a single cent in the “state up north,” including buying gas for the 160-mile trip back home from the Big House in Ann Arbor.
Ohio State’s recent domination of the series made the rivalry wane a bit but with Urban Meyer taking over coaching duties in Columbus and Jim Harbaugh back in Michigan, the game will likely return to the barn-burner it once was.
Airports near Ohio State:
- Ohio State University Airport (OSU), 8 miles away in Columbus, OH
- Port Columbus International (CMH), 11 miles away in Columbus, OH
- Rickenbacker International (LCK), 19 miles away in Columbus, OH
- Union County (MRT), 22 miles away in Marysville, OH
- Fairfield County (LHQ), 31 miles away in Lancaster, OH
Airports near University of Michigan:
- Ann Arbor Municipal (ARB), 4 miles away in Ann Arbor, MI
- Willow Run (YIP), 15 miles away in Detroit, MI
- Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County (DTW), 25 miles away in Detroit, MI
- Merillat Airport (34G), 23 miles away in Tecumseh, MI
Charter a Private Jet to the University of Texas Longhorns - University of Oklahoma Sooners Game
- First Played: 1900
- Location: Dallas, Texas
- Stadium: Cotton Bowl
As if the matchup between these Big 12 powerhouses wasn’t enough to generate one of the greatest college football rivalries in the country, the fact that the two states border one another amplifies the battle.
Tickets for the game, held every year in the Cotton Bowl in Dallas during the Texas State Fair, are split at the 50-yard line with Longhorn fans getting the seats on one side of the field and Sooner fans on the other. It’s probably a good idea not to mix the fans for the game is frequently for the conference title – and a national championship bid.
Airports near the Cotton Bowl:
- Dallas Love Field Airport (DAL), 7 miles away
- Dallas Executive (RBD), 9 miles away
- Addison (ADS), 14 miles away in Addison
- Mesquite Metro Airport (HQZ), 14 miles away
- Dallas/Fort Worth International (DFW), 24 miles away
Charter a Private Jet to the Army - Navy Game
- First Played: 1890
- Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and Baltimore, Maryland
- Nickname: Army–Navy Game
This game isn’t about two powerhouses vying for the national championship game. Neither has been a contender for 50 years. It’s about tradition – and bragging rights for a branch of the armed services and the brave men and women who defend our country. These two military academies have been doing battle on the gridiron for more than 100 years.
Airports near West Point in New York:
- Stewart International (SWF), 11 miles away in Newburgh
- Dutchess County (POU), 17 miles away in Poukeepsie
- Orange County (MGJ), 18 miles away in Montgomery
- Danbury Municipal (DXR), 25 miles away in Danbury, Conn.
- Westchester County (HPN), 26 miles away in White Plains
- Teterboro (TEB), 38 miles away in Teterboro, N.J.
- Essex County (CDW), 39 miles away in Caldwell, N.J.
- LaGuardia (LGA), 43 miles away in New York City
Airports near the U.S. Naval Academy in Maryland:
- Baltimore/Washington International (BWI), 17 miles away in Baltimore
- Martin State (MTN), 24 miles away in Baltimore
- Easton Newman Field Airport, 25 miles away in Easton
- Weide Ahp Airport, 30 miles away in Edgewood Arsenal
- Ronald Reagan Washington National (DCA), 31 miles away in Washington, D.C.
Charter a Private Jet to the University of Florida Gators - University of Georgia Bulldogs Game
- First Played: 1915
- Location: Jacksonville, Florida
- Nickname: World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party
This matchup of Southeastern Conference rivals is so intense that it is played on a neutral site – on the home field of the NFL’s Jaquars – in Jacksonville, Fla. Except, Georgia critics argue, EverBank Field isn’t exactly a neutral site. Even though it may be only 40 miles from the Georgia-Florida border, it’s 340 miles from the home of the Bulldogs in Athens, Ga., but only 70 miles from the Gators’ home in Gainesville.
But, for now anyway, it’s staying in Jacksonville where it draws such tremendous crowds with their elaborate tailgating parties that it’s been nicknamed “The World’s Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party.”
Airports near Jacksonville:
- Craig Municipal (CRG), 8 miles away
- Jacksonville International (JAX), 12 miles away
- Whitehour Nolf Airport (NEN), 14 miles away
Charter a Private Jet to the USC Trojans - Notre Dame Fighting Irish Game
- First Played: 1926
- Location: Los Angeles, California and South Bend, Indianna
- Nickname: The Game
Unlike most intense rivalries, this one, which dates back to 1900, isn’t between teams in the same conference. Whether it’s played on the home field of Notre Dame’s Fighting Irish in Southbend, Ind., in October or on University of Southern California Trojan turf in Los Angeles the Saturday after Thanksgiving, fans gear up for a contest steeped in tradition and often including bids for a national championship berth and Heisman trophy candidates.
Legend has it the game between schools 2,000 miles apart started as the result of a conversation in the 1920s between the wives of Fighting Irish coach Knute Rockne and Trojan athletic director Gywnn Wilson. The women decided it would be a good idea and eventually got the men to agree.
Airports near USC:
- Hawthorne Municipal (HHR), 10 miles away in Hawthorne
- Compton/Woodley (CPM), 11 miles away in Compton
- Santa Monica (SMO), 12 miles away in Santa Monica
- Los Angeles International (LAX), 15 miles away in Los Angeles
- Bob Hope (BUR), 18 miles away in Burbank
- John Wayne (SNA), 41 miles away in Santa Ana
Airports near Notre Dame:
- South Bend Regional (SBN), 6 miles away in South Bend
- Elkhart Municipal (EKI), 23 miles away in Elkhart
- Plymouth (PLY), 26 miles away in Plymouth
Charter a Private Jet to the Clemson Tigers - South Carolina Gamecocks Game
- First Played: 1896
- Location: Clemson, South Carolina and Columbia, South Carolina
- Nickname: Carolina-Clemson Rivalry or The Palmetto Bowl
These same-state, different-conference teams – the University of South Carolina Gamecocks and the Clemson University Tigers – have been bitter enemies since Reconstruction after the Civil War. The makeup of the student body and the political leanings of the administration have swung wildly over the years but the Palmetto Bowl rivalry between Southeastern Conference’s South Carolina, and the Atlantic Coast Conference’s Clemson hasn’t wavered.
Airports near Columbia:
- Jim Hamilton – L.B. Owens (CUB), 4 miles away
- Columbia Metropolitan (CAE), 7 miles away
- Mc Entire Angs Airpot (MMT), 93 miles away in Charlotte, N.C.
Airports near Clemson:
- Oconee County (CEU), 4 miles away in Clemson
- Anderson Regional (AND), 14 miles away in Anderson
- Pickens County (LQK), 17 miles away in Pickens
- Toccoa (TOC), 33 miles away in Toccoa, Ga.
- Greenville-Spartanburg International (GSP), 50 miles away in Greenville
Charter a Private Jet to the Oregon Ducks - Oregon State Beavers Game
Picture Source: isportsweb.com
- First Played: 1894
- Location: Corvallis, Oregon and Eugene, Oregon
- Nickname: The Civil War
The 120-year Pacific Northwest regional battle between these two Pac-12 teams, the University of Oregon Ducks and the Oregon State Beavers, has turned into a national gotta-see rivalry, famous for fights on and off the field.
In even-numbered years, the game is played on Oregon State’s home turf in Corvallis and in odd-numbered years on Oregon’s home field in Eugene. The contest between the two schools, which are a mere 50 miles apart, has been called “The Civil War.”
Airports near the University of Oregon:
- Eugene (EUG), 12 miles away in Eugene
- Corvallis Municipal (CVO), 39 miles away in Corvallis
- Oakridge State Airport (5S0), 25 miles away
Airports near Oregon State:
- Corvallis Municipal (CVO), 5 miles away in Corvallis
- Newport Municipal (ONP), 38 miles away in Newport
- Eugene (EUG), 38 miles away in Eugene
- McNary Field (SLE), 40 miles away in Salem
Charter a Private Jet to the Berkeley Golden Bears - Stanford Cardinals Game
- First Played: 1946
- Location: Berkeley, California and Stanford, California
- Nickname: The Stanford Axe
Since their first matchup in 1946, the University of California Berkeley Golden Bears and the Stanford Cardinals, located only 30 miles from each other, have battled it out in the “Big Game” for bragging rights as the king of the San Francisco Bay area.
The title has gone back and forth over the years with Stanford holding an edge in total wins.
Fans might best remember the “the oldest college football rivalry in the West” for one famous last-minute score -- “The Play” -- in 1982.
Stanford, just having taken a 20-19 lead with four seconds left on the clock, kicked off to California and, as the Golden Bears were returning the ball, the Stanford band, thinking the game was over, came on the field for a premature celebration. Cal players had to lateral the ball five times to avoid crashing into band members but eventually crossed the goal line. A super exciting last-minute 25-20 Cal win … or was it? Although officially declared so, bitter Stanford fans, including senior quarterback John Elway, have to this day objected to the legality of two of the five laterals – claiming one was an illegal forward pass and the other handed off by a ballplayer who had a knee down.
Airports near Berkeley:
- Oakland International (OAK), 11 miles away in Oakland
- Buchanan Field Airport (CCR), 14 miles away in Concord
- Hayward Executive Airport (HWD), 17 miles away in Hayward
- San Francisco International (SFO), 26 miles away in San Francisco
Airports near Stanford:
- Palo Alto Airport of Santa Clara County (PAO), 6 miles away in Palo Alto
- Moffett Federal Airfield (NUQ), 10 miles away in Mountain View
- San Carlos (SQL), 11 miles away in San Carlos
- San Francisco International (SFO), 22 miles away in San Francisco
- Hayward Executive (HWD), 23 miles away in Hayward
- Oakland International (OAK), 30 miles away in Oakland
Get a Quick Quote Online and Book Your Jet Early!
Booking early has many advantages. Enter a few details below to start planning your private jet flight to the Top College Football Rivalries.